A Monthly art blog for artist Luke Firle. Will consist of things made by him, things he's seen, and general art musings and information on his life.

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Well March has come and gone

So March is over and April is starting.  I am still waiting to find out if I am going to graduate school.  The wait is stressing me out like no other.  I just want to know so I can plan appropriately for the future.  I really wish I had options but I applied to 5 schools and have been denied by 4. The school that was my number one choice has me on their wait list (Number 2), and I'm waiting to hear if someone (2 someones, that is) decides not to go.  I have decided that if I don't get in or get enough financial aid to go, that I have two options.  One is to apply again this fall/winter, but where and how many schools do I apply too.  Second is to rethink this graduate school thing all together and start applying to some good residencies.  Perhaps I need to do both.  One thing for sure is that I am going to start making some packets to send to galleries that I am interested in.  In hopes to show work outside of KCMO, the midwest art collectors are not ready for my type of work especially here in Kansas City.  I will for sure be moving come the end of July but to where is up in the air. Unless I get accepted to graduate school which will end up being North Carolina - Chapel Hill.  If I am not accepted I will be going to Bloomington, Indiana with my wonderful girlfriend Kendra.  What shall I do there I have no clue, but making art is going to be number one on the list, while finding a job that gives me free time to paint and pays a decent wage is the other.

  I am really in need of the of a CNC router and a large surface planer or surface sander.  With these tools I could start to make the shaped paintings that I think would be really excellent. I also need to think about the supplies in my studio that needs to be replenished. I need new brushes all around, new oil paints, more markers, and everything involved with using one shot paints. Off course I am needing to replace tools that have gone bad over the years, #1 on this list is a sander.  I wouldn't mind getting a kreg pocket jig and some plug cutters. I have been using the schools this semester. 

 My time at the Drugstore is coming to an end and I will be leaving these studios this summer. Which will be tough but I can only hope that the future is great and bright for all.  When I left the CSF residency I did not think I was going to find such a great place to work that the Drugstore has been.

  Also my time as the Tools & Tech instructor at MWSU is ending at the end of April.  It has had its ups and downs. My time there has made me discover that I would like to be teaching especially at the collegiate level.  I am hopeful for this to happen again in my future and I would love to teach painting and drawing classes, my heart is much closer to them than a shop class. Although I would have to say a foundations class would be a lot of fun to teach, in the fact that it is more interdisciplinary.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for share a great blog. I really enjoy reading this blog.

    ReplyDelete